"I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' Gospel as explained by Spiritism, Chapter XV, item 1
We are attempting to provide spiritual support as well as friendship to men and women behind prison walls. We encourage our volunteers to include some spiritual direction/counsel/inspiration with each letter, as well as the thoughts of friendship.
The Mission of Light Pen Pal Program
It is a social assistance program sponsored by the Bezerra de Menezes Kardecian Spiritist Center, a nonprofit organization with status 501(C) (3) with the IRS, established in 1985.
As such, it is our hope that you will see yourself first and foremost as extending the love of Christ and the Spirits wisdom to the prisoners with whom you correspond. With each letter, we encourage you to share your faith and how God is working in your life and how He may have helped you in the past.
Become a Pen Pal Volunteer
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and will see this program as an extension of their Christian Spiritist practice. Read the guidelines and fill out an application form. Upon receipt of your signed application, your name will be matched with an inmate from a Florida State prison, and then you will receive a letter/email from us with your pen pal’s information. Pen pal volunteers must give their first name only or pen pal name to the inmate friend.
Every Second Friday of the month, at 7 PM, Mission of Light volunteers meet at our office to welcome new volunteers, to share experiences, pray and write together, also to review the correspondence sent and received. As a fraternal group, issues related to the pen pal program are discussed.
As a Mission of Light Volunteer you are required to:
- Participate in the group meeting, every Second Friday of the month at 7 PM.
- Write to my pen pal friend at least once a month.
- Help to cover the cost of paper, envelopes and stamps as possible.
- Do the Gospel at Home
- Inform the group coordinators of any situation that I feel uncomfortable with.
- To share my correspondence with other members of the group. No letters will be confidential, while respecting the privacy and seriousness of the subject.
- Accept recommendations or suggestion of the group on the handling of situations that may occur with my pen pal friend.
- Abide by the guidelines at all times.
Right Now someone is in need of a friend. That someone can be you. Become a Pen Pal Volunteer. Available in English and Spanish.
Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
us at 6450 North West 77th Ct. Miami Florida 33166
Click here for driving direction